So this past week I gave the pie safe a makeover! See the original pictures here. The first thing I did was give the wood a light sanding with the 220 grit sand paper on the outside and I used a 120 grit sandpaper on the shelving inside to remove old paint and stains. After wiping off the dust I taped off the glass doors and the punched tin on the sides then I coated the whole thing, out side, inside, drawer, and shelves with the Watco Danish Oil in Dark Walnut. It really helped to moisturize the wood, but the color wasn't quite as dark as I wanted so I had a small can of Dark Walnut Wood stain that I applied with a rag for the whole 'rub on rub off' process to the outside of the pie safe only. The wood was the color I was hoping for!
The whole staining process took me about two evenings. It was fairly simply and I am glad that I used the Danish oil on the inside - it really refreshed the wood.
I let the pie safe dry in the garage for two days, luckily we had sun on both of those days which helped warm the garage and speed up the drying process. Once the wood didn't feel tacky anymore I used a spray-on polyurethane and just applied a light coat to the whole outside. I only did one coat at the Watco was a sealant as well and the pie safe wont be used roughly.
Finally once it was COMPLETELY dry, Z helped me move it into the house. I took off my blue painters tape and put knobs on the two doors on the top half and the two bottom doors. I purchased mis-matched glass knobs from Antrhopologie, so they would match the two existing glass knobs on the drawer.
It was ready for the drawer to be put back, shelves placed and to have ALL [well almost all] of my crafting supplies put in it!
I feel so accomplished that all my crafts are organized and Z is happy too! I still have to find storage for my fabric but I couldn't be happier with the overall look of the pie safe!