Pages

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Hot Pot Handle Holder! DIY!

Mimi (my G-ma) uses these all of the times and recently she caught hers on fire while cooking. She asked if I could make her some and I figured why not! They go on the pot handle of pans to protect your hands from heat - especially cast iron skillets that have no grip or protection!
This is what I had to work with as my pattern:

Just a warning - there is a bunch of pictures for this tutorial!
This is actually a very simply DIY and one you can easily make custom for any and all of your pots and pans! 
Here are the materials I used: Extra Wide Double Fold Twill Tape, 
Upholstery Fabric, Insulated Batting 

I started by tracing the outline of a pan handle and added 1/2 wiggle room on each side PLUS another 1/2 inch for my seam allowance. I cut it out, folded in half to get symmetrical and then copied to card stock. 
Once I had my pattern I traced EIGHT onto the the fabric I wanted to use. In this case I had upholstery fabric left from my Vintage Stool Makeover . Then trace FOUR from the insulated batting. This is what will protect your hand from the heat. I am making two of these, if you only want to make one just trace Four of the fabric and two of the insulated batting.

Then cut them out:


Next create layers by pinning two layers of the upholstery fabric together with the batting in the middle.
I would recommend hand basting them together after they are pinned - It will hold them together better as the working area is small and there are a lot of pins!


Next, sew the three layers together with a 1/4 seam allowance being sure to get all layers!


Now it is time to use the twill tape - cut four strips long enough to go across the bottom of the holder and sew on. This will seal in the raw edges.



Now baste TWO of these panels together - Take the twill tape and fold it up 1/2 inch to hide the edge and VERY carefully pin the twill tape around the panels being sure to enclose ALL of the raw edges top and bottom, I pinned probably every 1/2 inch just to be safe!
Leave three inches for the loop. 
Sew all around the twill tape once again being sure to enclose all of the edges.



Sew all the way to the end of the twill tape and then turn up into a loop (so you can hang pot handle holder)!


And Ta-Da:



Boy... Crafting is tough work...

<3

13 comments:

  1. Fabulous idea!! I love the chevron! Thanks for joining the party at Keep Calm and Link Up!! See you again next week:)
    Barbara @ Chase the Star
    www.chasethestar.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh love it! I could use so many of these! And you can't go wrong with chevron right now! Thanks for sharing at Show & Share! Featuring you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alexandra! These are great! I have metal handles on all of my pots and pans and the ones I've seen in stores are pretty expensive. I don't really sew, but I wonder if I could get away with using stitch witchery or fuseable web for them? I might just have to give it a try. Newly following from Domesblissity. Thanks so much for the tutorial! ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! THank you for following! They are super easy and BASIC to make! Fuseable web might work - I would just worry that it wouldn't be strong enough to last long term because there are six layers of fabric coming together. :) Let me know how it goes!!

      Delete
  4. LOVE the potholder, but the puppy is TOO CUTE! We just adopted a puppy (you can see her on my blog groffstuff.blogspot.com) and we don't know her breed, however she looks similar to your dog. What kind is she?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank yoU! Her name is Baby, she is cute and knows it :) She is a yorkshire terrier (yorkie). Thank you for following!

      Delete
  5. Thank you so much for the tutorial! I just made two of them tonight! One for a gift and one for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woo! I am glad you liked them!! They actually come in quite handy!! :)

      Delete
  6. These are easy to make. My only concern is the loop that will be too close to the heat so I would leave that out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are easy to make. My only concern is the loop that will be too close to the heat so I would leave that out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are easy to make. My only concern is the loop that will be too close to the heat so I would leave that out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can I give you a tip for making multiples at one time?
    1. Trace your handle pattern, including seam allowance, right next to each other on your top fabric - how ever many you want to make at one time from the same fabric.
    2. Now you have the size of fabric needed to make x number of pan handle covers.
    3. Put all your layers together.
    4. Sew around on all traced lines. DON'T cut them apart yet.
    5. Attach your seam binding along entire opening edge.
    6. Now cut all your pieces apart. Match together and sew around.
    7. Attach seam binding around outer edge and finish as above.
    With less picking up and putting down, you'll make a lot more faster! Plus you won't be throwing out as many small scraps that might actually give you another 1 or 2 pot handle covers. :)

    ReplyDelete